Buffalo -- the other white meat.
The Rocky Mountain Showdown, for those un-familiar with a great in-state rivalry, pits the Colorado State Rams against the Colorado Buffalos. And as almost any Coloradoan knows -- this rivalry goes deep as you only root for one school. You pick one team or the other. You can't kill your prostitue and pimp her out too. While Colorado State fans had to suffer the past few years with the game being held on another planet, known as Boulder, they can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the game is back on neutral territory. ((How many blondes does it take to screw the Colorado Buffaloes? Just one -- Rick Neuheisel.))
Why will this be the most exciting game of the week? Because nothing beats a good old-fashioned in-state rivalry, because a win gives you bragging rights over your friends, enemies and sometimes even your family. These rivalries encompass all sports and any forms of competitions between these two schools. At the games, they leave you cheering to the last minute, you don't abandon your team when they're losing -- you fight for them until the end. And the most beautiful thing about instate rivalries is that why one team may dominate the series there is always the chance for the underdog to emerge triumphant. Plus for many of the players on both Colorado State Rams and the CU Buffalos -- Saturday's game will be one of the only times these players get to play in an NFL stadium and in front of a sold-out crowd.
Read more to see my top ten in-state rivals and top ten rivals over all.
First to honor the Rocky Mountain Showdown with my list of the Top Ten Best In-state rivalries:
1. Rocky Mountain Showdown: Colorado - Colorado State (I'm from here, it's always going to be number 1 in my book). Plus any game where the fans from the schools are regularly tear gassed and they have to run a massive media campaign this year to try and get fans to behave should be on the list in my book.
2. The Big Game: Stanford CAL
3. Texas - Texas Tech // Lone Star Showdown: Texas - Texas A & M
4. Miami FSU // FSU - Florida
5. Iron Bowl: Alabama - Auburn
6. UCLA - USC
7. Bedlam Series: Oklahoma Oklahoma State
8. Apple Cup: Washington - Washington State
9. Civil War: Oregon - Oregon State
10. Louisville - Kentucky
And in honor of rivals period, top ten best rival games, period:
1. Army - Navy
2. Red River Shootout: Texas - Oklahoma
3. Notre Dame - USC
4. The Game: Ohio State - Michigan
5. The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party: Georgia Florida
6. Penn State Minnesota
7. Holy War: Boston College - Notre Dame
6. Florida State - Miami
9. Third Saturday in October: Tennessee - Alabama
10. Catholics v. Convicts: Notre Dame Miami -- Why Notre Dame refuses to play Miami during the regular season anymore in 1990, the hatred that existed between the two schools deserves them a place on this list.
** Thanks to Ron for helping me with my lists. Even though we disagree on a few of the rankings.**
Think we missed a rival? Comment with your differing thoughts, even if youre completely wrong.