- Thanks to Brett Favre aka Jet Favre, for proving that hes far from washed up and that this isnt a Joe Namath going to the Lambs in the late 70s move. Thanks to Jet Favre and one other thing Ill give thanks for in a bit, the Jets are thinking Super Bowl for the first time since 1998 in a legitimate fashion after beating the Titans rather handily last week in Tenn-a-kee.
- Thanks to Whats His Face for killing Tom Bradys season. For without his hit, most likely the Pats would be running away with things right now in the AFC East. His hit has allowed the Dolphins to be over .500. THE DOLPHINS!!!
- Thanks to the Giants for proving that Februarys win was NOT a fluke. Oh and while Im at it, thanks to the Browns for waking the Giants up. (Ill get to this in a bit.) While Im all but convinced the Giants wont repeat as champs, theyve more than proven that theyre for real like it or not. Elis not exactly his brother and quite honestly, he doesnt need to be with whats behind him. He has a better running game behind him and while he doesnt have the weapons Peytons got, he has still found a way to make it work and work very well.
Can you imagine Eli with a playmaking receiver thats not shooting himself in a club? Wow.
- Thanks to the Browns for basically winning the Youre Not Who Everyone Thought You Were award for the 2008-09 season. Thanks to your traditional everyone expects us to do great, so lets go out and make it as repugnant as can be attitude, youve ensured that Romeo Crennel or Phil Savage (Plain Dealer doesnt think its out of the question that both are job hunting after next month) will be fired at seasons end. Oh and just a casual observation, when a stadium full of fans are chanting for a studio analyst to come out of retirement during a home game, its time to update the resume regardless.
(Random note, I believe that Cowhers the ONLY MAN out there that can turn this thing in the right direction for Cleveland. He can find the right personnel to make the 3-4 work and I believe hell get Brady Quinn along with the rest of these under/non-achievers working towards respectability and beating the Steelers once in a while.)
- Thanks to the BCS for finding new and innovative ways to stay around, amidst public outcry for its upheaval. In roughly three hours or so, the BCS is going to determine who will play Missouri for the Big XII title and an automatic berth to a BCS game. In the case of Oklahoma or Texas, a national title game. However, should Mizzou duplicate what Kansas State did just ten years ago (knocking off highly favored Texas in a game that was thought to be an afterthought), the team on the outside looking in COULD find its way to Miami for the National Title game against the winner of Saturdays Game Of The Century aka the SEC Title game.
What people havent figured out by now is that the more controversy the BCS creates, the more its talked about and the more its talked about, the more its going to stay around. Oh and the good folks at ESPN will have the BCS Series as of 2010, so please believe its not going anywhere for a very long time.
- Thanks to the Mets for ensuring Id have another year of heartache and an offseason to bemoan the women that are playing a mans game. Omar, Ive got a letter coming your way before Christmas, please believe that.
- Thanks to the Knicks who finally pulled the plug on Isiah Thomas, even if it might have been too little, way late. Donnie Walsh will find a way to get the room necessary to get LeBron to NY, but can DAntoni find enough time to implement some defense so that the Knicks can win a title once/if James gets there?
Last, but most certainly not least
- Thanks to the great folks at SB who allow me to do what I love so much, write about sports while pissing off the masses in the process. :=)